Caring For Your Sheets
We spend up to one third of our lives sleeping*, so it is important that the bed linen we buy feels beautiful after every wash. While Sheridan bed linen has been engineered to an exceptionally high standard and can be washed and tumble dried, there are simple things you can do to keep your bed linen beautiful long into the future. We recommend washing your sheets weekly for optimum hygiene and to keep them looking beautiful for longer.
STEP-BY-STEP SHEETS CARE GUIDE
- The first step to caring starts in the washing machine. For best results, we recommend a warm gentle machine wash. This warm temperature is the ideal heat for removing natural body oils, bacteria and chemical detergents. When putting a load of sheets in the wash, try not to overcrowd the machine – allow enough space for plenty of water to rinse through your bed linen and always wash your products on a full cycle with a full rinse. This prevents any chemicals building up on the fibres.
- To protect the fibres of your towels, we recommend using a gentle eucalyptus-based washing detergent for superior colour retention. This will ensure a long-lasting, bright and colourful life.
- Stay away from using bleach and peroxides; and if using harsh body washes and creams, be cautious that residue doesn’t come into contact with your sheets.
- For your whites, optical brighteners are ok to use, however follow the recommendations on the bottle, avoid using them on coloured washes and try to keep them separate to prevent colour running.
- To protect the fibres of your sheets, we recommend using a gentle eucalyptus-based washing detergent. It’s much gentler than other detergents.
- We recommend line drying your sheets in the sun as it performs as a natural antibacterial agent and will assist in killing any germs. If tumble drying, follow specific instructions on the care label, and dry in small loads on a low to medium setting. Make the bed while the sheets are still slightly warm to smooth out any wrinkles.
- Always ensure your sheets are completely dry before putting them away, and always store them in a dry place.
Linen becomes softer and more beautiful with every wash. Its properties are different to cotton and it therefore requires slightly different care. Sheridan linen is crafted using 100% Belgian flax and is engineered to an exceptionally high standard. When it comes to caring for your linen, a little bit of love goes a long way. Follow these simple guidelines to keep your linen looking beautiful for longer.
THE LINEN CARE CHECKLIST:
- If using a top loader washing machine, wait until the detergent is fully diluted in the water before putting sheets in the machine. Undiluted detergents can cause staining on the fabric.
- Don’t use bleach and optical brighteners. They’re too harsh on linen and will damage the fibres of the material.
- Do not tumble dry on a hot setting and avoid overloading the dryer – allow enough space in the dryer for the sheeting to circulate.
Flannelette sheets are a bedding essential for the cooler months. The super soft, brushed texture cotton can be prone to pilling, however this is not a reflection of the quality of the sheets and can be prevented by following a few simple steps.
THE FLANNELETTE CARE CHECKLIST:
- Don’t leave flannelette sheets on your bed for longer than a week without washing.
- Top and tail your fitted sheet (especially after the first two washes) to evenly distribute the friction from body movement throughout the night. Unsure what toping and tailing is? Flip the fitted sheet so the top is at the foot of the bed, and the bottom of the sheet is at the head of the bed. This ensures full use of the fitted sheet and avoids body moulding in one specific area.